Some of us came to Azerbaijan as students from Greifswald University (Germany) to conduct the fieldwork for different theses. We think that science is a wonderful instrument to support bird conservation. Our findings are presented in some publications. Our obtained knowledge is the backbone of our activities in Azerbaijan.
Please contact us for scientific collaboration or your own research interests.
List of publications by the team:
- Fetting P & Buddemeier J (2021) First records of Little Bunting Emberiza pusilla for Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 43(1): 146-150.
- Heiss M, Gauger K, Himmel C, Fetting P, Haraldson TA, Caucal G, Fərəcli Z, Sultanov E (2020) The development of the ‘Besh Barmag Bird Migration Count’ in Azerbaijan and its importance for the monitoring of Eurasian migrant birds. Sandgrouse 42(1): 29–45.
- Himmel C (2020) Research on waders in Southern Azerbaijan, one of the last under-surveyed areas of the Western Palearctic. Wader Study 127 (1).
- Himmel C (2019) First record of White-rumped Sandpiper Calidris fuscicollis for Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 41 (1): 78–79.
- Baumgarten M (2019) Breeding Bird communities of Azerbaijan´s West & their Response to Land Use. Master thesis at the Greifswald University, Germany.
- Heiss M (2018) Nocturnal bird migration at Besh Barmag bottleneck in Azerbaijan as revealed by means of acoustic monitoring. Bird Conservation International 28 (4): 593–605.
- Heiss M (2017) Bird migration at the Besh Barmag bottleneck in Azerbaijan. Dissertation, Greifswald University, Germany.
- Heiss M (2016) Records of Globally Red-listed Bird Species Migrating through the Besh Barmag Bottleneck, Azerbaijan Republic. Podoces 11 (2): 43–52.
- Heiss M (2016) Migratory behaviour of bird species occurring in critical numbers at the Besh Barmag bottleneck in Azerbaijan. Bird Conservation International 26 (2): 243–255.
- Heiss M (2015) First records of Asian Buff-bellied Pipit Anthus (rubescens) japonicus in Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 37 (2): 172–176.
- Heiss M, Eidam F (2015) First record of White-headed Yellow Wagtail Motacilla flava leucocephala for Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 37 (2): 199–202.
- Heiss M (2014) A sighting of Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) in Azerbaijan. Berkut 23: 24–25.
- Heiss M (2013) Spotted Nutcracker Nucifraga caryocatactes: a new species for Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 35 (1): 39–42.
- Heiss M (2013) The importance of Besh Barmag bottleneck (Azerbaijan) for Eurasian migrant birds: Acta Ornithologica 48 (2): 151–164.
- Heiss M (2012) Impact of Forest Degradation on Breeding Birds of the Talysh Mountains in Azerbaijan Republic. Podoces 7 (1/2): 38–51.
- Heiss M (2011) The first breeding record of Red-footed Falcon Falco vespertinus (Linnaeus, 1766), in Azerbaijan. Zoology in the Middle East 52: 113–115.
- Heiss M, Gauger K (2011) Bird Migration at the Caspian Shore of the Azerbaijan Republic in October 2007. Podoces 6 (1): 59–71.
- Gauger K, Heiss M (2011) Birding Sites of the OSME Region 7–The Talish mountains region in Azerbaijan. Sandgrouse 33 (1): 46–57.
- Heiss M, Gauger K (2009) The rediscovery of breeding Shikras Accipiter badius in the Western Palaearctic. Sandgrouse 32 (2): 134–137.
- Schmidt S, Gauger K, Agayeva N (2008) Birdwatching in Azerbaijan – A Guide to Nature and Landscape. Michael Succow Foundation. 224 pp. (order online here or here)
- Gauger K, Pietzsch D (2007) The Nationalpark Lake Ag-Gel – Contributions to the Avifauna of Azerbaijan. Archiv für Naturschutz und Landschaftsforschung 2007 (2): 5–27.
- Gauger K (2005) Occurence, Ecology and Conservation of wintering Little Bustards Tetrax tetrax in Azerbaijan. Archiv für Naturschutz und Landschaftsforschung 2005 (4): 57–68.